Malta Railway

San Salvatore Station

Home page

 

Map 12

The masonry viaduct just before San Salvatore station

San Salvatore station was 4 miles 1200 yds. from Valletta. There was a single platform with one small station building. The area around the station was planted with palm trees some of which still survive. Just before the station was a small masonry viaduct which carried the railway over a small stream. Also just before the station there was a small passing loop which was used to accommodate extra trains that were timetabled for the feast of St Paul. The station was also used by the staff and visitors of the nearby Lunatic Asylum.